Social Icons

Thursday, October 24, 2013

The Pledge of Allegiance

The other day I was skimming through Facebook posts and stopped at an interesting post discussing the pledge of allegiance. What struck me the most was the seemingly ignorant remarks concerning the historical origins. The original version is from 1892 and read, "I pledge allegiance to my flag and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." In 1923, "the Flag of the United States of America" was added and "Under God" wasn't added until 1954. Each addition was added based on what was happening during that time and as we approach an era where more Americans want to see a division between government and religion it makes sense that attitudes towards the pledge of allegiance will change. I grew up reciting it, I am a veteran and I completely understand the patriotic sentiments that the allegiance stirs in people. Issues change over time and each era will make changes to previous ones. Just a few decades ago it would be unimaginable that the Defense of Marriage Act would be struck down but it did and more states are allowing gay marriages.

We all have the right to vote and bring issues up to our representatives. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't but if you don't get out to vote in the first place to me it seems like a waste of time to complain. But if you do complain at least have your historical facts correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment